The Cloud Backup for Oracle Database provides an easy-to-manage, cost efficient and scalable alternative to maintaining in-house data storage backup infrastructure. The offering delivers Oracle database backup and recovery services leveraging Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) in packaged solutions based on a fixed monthly fee for the selected storage and traffic.
With easy deployment, customers using Oracle databases version 9iR2 and later can begin moving data to Amazon S3 within an hour of subscribing to the service. Cloud Backup for Oracle Database using Recovery Manager (RMAN) compresses and encrypts the datasets for efficient and secure transit and storage.
Customers can now take advantage of the internet based data storage services offered by Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) for Recovery Manager (RMAN) backup and recovery tasks. Implementing Cloud Backup for Oracle Database with existing tape backup operations requires no hardware or software upgrades to begin backing up to the Cloud. The offering features include:
- Safe, secure, cost-effective with anywhere data access: Amazon S3 provides a fully redundant data storage infrastructure for storing and retrieving any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the Web.
- Efficient backup and recovery: Tight integration with the server provides block-level corruption detection during backup and restore.
- Optimized performance and space consumption: Leverage the file multiplexing and compression features to reduce the data set size as well as the encryption features to secure the data in transit and at rest.
- Seamless connection: Local disk backups are sent directly to Amazon S3 for offsite storage and are fully integrated with RMAN's features and functionality.
- Flexible options: Enable the customer backup operations to the Cloud or to additional RMAN channels for the organization to improve backup service level agreements.
- Packages designed and offered for fixed monthly fee.
- Oracle database integration with Recovery Manager (RMAN) supporting versions Oracle9i to Oracle Database 11g Release 2
- Customers can use existing licenses for each RMAN channel or purchase new licenses through Avnet.
- File system data protection: UNIX / Windows / Linux servers and Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- The OSB Cloud Module uses the RMAN SBT interface to extend the Amazon S3 functionality for Oracle backup operations
- Write, read, and delete objects containing from 1 byte to 5 terabytes of data each
- The number of objects you can store is unlimited
- Backup data is received from the backup server over CIFS or NFS interface
- The information is deduplicated and compressed
- Data is encrypted and stored both in the local cache and in the Cloud, with the customer managing the key
- Each object is stored in a bucket and retrieved via a unique assigned key
- Authentication mechanisms are provided to ensure that data is kept secure from unauthorized access
- Options for secure data upload/download and encryption of data at rest are provided for additional data protection
- VMware Virtualized Servers using certified backup software for data backups.
- Virtual CPUs 2 minimum; 4 recommended.
- Physical CPUs 2.3 GHz + Xeon (or similar).
- Memory 6 GB minimum; 8 GB to 12 GB recommended.
- Networking Adaptor type Intel E1000.
- Disk Up to 8 TB (2, 4, and 8TB appliances available, recommend using maximum drive size). RAID-1 or high throughput disk subsystem. Separate disk subsystems other than the one used for backed up servers.
- Set up the Windows server(s) within an existing or newly created naming service such as Active Directory.
Packages and Pricing
This service is available in the United States. All pricing for the packaged offerings are listed as suggested retail price (SRP) in US currency.